torsdag 26. november 2009

Case 10 - Victory or defeat


Nortrom MacFree - Beta version by ~SveinE89 on deviantART

In this week’s case our objective was to create some kind of way to show the player that you’ve either won or lost. In addition we also were supposed to create a starting menu with instructions and a button to start the game. In the win/loose screens we should make it possible to restart the game.

In this case I first had to reorganize my script-file. I learned what I needed to do in our group meeting on Monday, where we were introduced to the concept. The first function I called in was the constructor, where all the main objects of the game are added. But now that I needed a start screen, I had to move this constructor further down in the script. I added two new functions over it; the intro and menu function (in addition to the functions for the buttons).

I spent a lot of time this week on designing the different screens, since the programming went pretty smoothly. I decided to make the loosing screen a so called “blue screen of death”, which is a familiar term in the computer world. I created a replica of the well known blue screen that appears in the earlier versions of the Windows operation system when you crash your computer. I also decided that instead of creating a button to click with on with your mouse to restart, I just bound a key to restart the game. This suited the blue screen more, since you often got the message “Press any key to attempt to continue”. For the intro and win screen, I decided to create a small movie sequence to create a sort of background story.

After letting people see my game and give me feedback, I also spent a lot of time revamping the game. I made it a bit harder by adding more enemies, and increasing their speed. I’ve also added a timer that makes you lose if the time runs out. I also worked on the design and placing of the different objects.

Ingen kommentarer:

Legg inn en kommentar